Awards & Recognition
Norfolk Southern strives to be the industry leader in all areas of corporate sustainability, including commitments to reduce our environmental footprint, to be a good corporate citizen, and to deliver top-notch service to customers. We are honored and gratified when our efforts to improve are recognized by others.
- Won American Carbon Registry’s 2012 Corporate Excellence award
- Achieved our best-ever carbon disclosure score in the 2012 CDP S&P 500 Climate Change Report
- Ranked as top railroad in the S&P 500 Clean Capitalism Ranking released in February 2012 by Corporate Knights
- Ranked as top U.S. railroad in Newsweek’s 2012 Green Rankings
- Named to Inbound Logistics magazine’s 2012 list of 75 Green Supply Chain Partners
- Earned a 2012 National Achievement Award from TRANSCAER® for helping communities prepare for and respond to potential hazardous materials transportation incidents
- TRANSCAER’s Torch Award won by employee William J. “Bill” Oertly in recognition of his lifetime achievement
- Named by CivilianJobs.com to its 2012 list of Most Valuable Employers for Military® for our commitment to hiring veterans
- Named by G.I. Jobs magazine to its Top 100 Military Friendly Employers®
- Ranked No. 4 among transportation and automotive sector companies in 2012 for employee adoption benefits by the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption
- Earned customer service recognition from UPS for the second consecutive year for delivering failure-free service during the parcel carrier’s “peak season,” between Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Tied for highest overall score among rail and intermodal service providers in Logistics Management magazine’s 2012 “Quest for Quality” reader survey
- Listed during 2012 as a Top 25 Socially Responsible Dividend Stock by Dividend Channel, an online investment research website owned by BNK Invest Inc.
Awards received during the reporting period.