Norfolk Southern strives to be the rail industry leader in sustainability. Our corporate goal is to reduce and mitigate environmental impacts, to support the communities we serve, and to deliver unrivaled service to customers. We are honored and gratified when others recognize our efforts to improve and excel.
- Achieved our best-ever CDP carbon disclosure score
- Earned sustainability award from Loudon County Economic Development Agency for Tennessee land-reuse project
- Earned an Elizabeth River Project distinguished performance award for stormwater recycling system in Norfolk, Va.
- Earned EPA ENERGY STAR rating for Roanoke, Va., office building
- Named “Logistics/Transportation Provider of the Year” by American Metal Market
- Named among top three performing railroads on Soy Transportation Council’s 2013 report card
- Named a Top 25 socially responsible stock by Dividend Channel
- Earned National Achievement Award from TRANSCAER® (Transportation Community Awareness and Emergency Response)
- Named a “Best for Vets” employer by Military Times EDGE magazine
- Listed among G.I. Jobs magazine’s “Top 100 Military Friendly Employers”
- CEO Wick Moorman received “Railroad Innovator Award” from Progressive Railroading
- EVP and CIO Deb Butler named “Outstanding Woman of the Year” by the League of Railway Industry Women
- Legal department earned “Virginia Strawberry Award” for food bank collections in the 2013 Legal Food Frenzy event
- Named Atlanta’s No. 3 healthiest large employer by Atlanta Business Chronicle
- Received United Way Gold Trailblazer Award for our Norfolk fund-raising campaign