WellNS helps employees stay on a healthy track
Norfolk Southern’s slogan for the company’s health and wellness program is, “You have the Power.” Introduced in 2008, WellNS encourages employees to get regular medical screenings, become active, quit tobacco use, and make nutritious food choices.
2013 WellNS highlights include:
- A team of five Norfolk Southern employees in Norfolk, Va., won the Weight Watchers “50 Years of Success” contest in the At-Work category, losing a combined 223 pounds. Learn more about their story on the Weight Watchers website.
- The company created dedicated studio space for on-site employee-fitness classes, including Pilates, Zumba, and power abs, in our three corporate office buildings in Norfolk, Roanoke, and Atlanta, and in the training center in McDonough, Ga. Fitness classes also are offered in a field location near our Lamberts Point coal transload facility in Norfolk.
- Norfolk Southern hosted a rally and water stop for veterans during the “Ride 2 Recovery” memorial challenge. Ride 2 Recovery is a rehabilitation program that features cycling as a core activity to help veterans overcome physical and mental challenges after returning from service.
- More than 10,000 employees – a third of our workforce – now participate in Virgin Pulse HealthMiles. Participants earn points and can pocket up to $500 a year by walking, participating in healthy activities, and tracking their health.
- Thirty Norfolk Southern teams participated in PowerTrain, a WellNS program in which teams of at least 10 co-workers train and compete in activity-based events that benefit nonprofit organizations. On behalf of teams that complete the events, Norfolk Southern donates $1,000 to selected nonprofit groups.
- WellNS introduced a “buy local” effort to support farmers in Hampton Roads, Va. Employees can sign up for weekly deliveries of locally grown fruits and vegetables delivered to the company’s Norfolk office.
WellNS Recognition: Heart-Healthy Employer
The American Heart Association recognized Norfolk Southern as a Platinum Fit-Friendly Worksite for encouraging physical activity and health in the workplace.
One of Atlanta’s Healthiest Employers
Norfolk Southern ranked No. 3 among large Atlanta companies in the Atlanta Business Chronicle’s 2014 Healthiest Employers awards. The journal cited the company’s WellNS health program and partnership with Virgin Pulse to encourage employees to get active and lead healthy lifestyles. About 2,800 of Norfolk Southern’s 30,000 employees work in Atlanta.
Employees in the Atlanta office who participate in the Virgin Pulse HealthMiles program can track their weight, blood pressure, and body mass index at WellNS kiosks. In addition, WellNS offers a gym and track at the company’s Atlanta training center, fitness classes, and healthy eating workshops.